The writing test
- Assesses writing skills, and knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.
- Lasts 45 minutes.
- Available in English, French, German and Spanish.
- Tasks are based on the kinds of skills and activities needed in the workplace, such as writing an email, message or letter.
- Consists of two parts:
- Part 1: You are given a short text, such as an email, letter extract, memo or advert, and guidelines for writing a reply or follow-up email, message or letter.
- Part 2: You write a short report or letter following brief instructions.
- Assessed by two trained language specialists against set criteria, for example:
- how accurate and appropriate your language is
- how you organise your ideas
- how effectively your piece of writing achieves its purpose.
- Result is provided by the organisation delivering the test.
Sample BULATS tests